Kirkby Schemes

SHAP’s Kirkby Scheme consists of 38 self-contained flats.  Seventeen properties offer self-contained accommodation for young homeless people aged 16-24 who are unable to live at home for any reason, or who are care leavers. They can stay for up to 2 years, while they work with us to assess their needs and we support them to become independent.

Twenty-one properties offer self-contained accommodation for homeless men and women who have support needs related to their mental health, use or misuse of alcohol and / or other substances, their offending behaviour or other needs.

The staff team consists of the Scheme Manager and two Project Workers.

The Scheme offers accommodation to:

  • care leavers
  • young people with offending behaviour
  • young people who are experiencing mental ill-health
  • young single parents needing accommodation for themselves and their child(ren).

People can stay at the Scheme for up to 2 years, while they work with us to assess their needs and we support them to become independent.

There is an office on site, which is staffed by project workers 8am – 5pm, Monday to Friday – tenants requiring advice, information or support can call in at anytime to speak to staff.


Mission Statement

We aim to provide:

An inclusive community for young people which aims to develop independence and promotes empowerment while challenging poverty and poor housing


How to access the scheme

We accept referrals from:

  • Knowsley Housing Options
  • Knowsley Social Care
  • Youth Offending Teams
  • Education providers
  • Mental health services
  • other housing providers

and others – please contact us if you support or know someone that needs accommodation and support.

Please call 0151 548 2050 or email


How to apply

Young people self-refer, or organisations can do this for them by contacting the scheme and asking for an application form. Or you can download the application form here and email it to

Contact us

Get In Touch Today

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Where to Find Us:

16 Barn Hey Road
L33 5XU

Phone Number:

0151 548 2050

Frequently Asked Questions

Do I have to pay rent?

Yes, unless you are entitled to Housing Benefit.

Could other people stay with me over night?

Yes, but they cannot move in with you. Also, both you and your guests are expected to respect those living near to the scheme and not play music too loudly or make other noise late at night or early in the morning.

What kind of help will be available for me?

You will be allocated a key-worker who will meet with your regularly for support sessions.

He or she will support you in writing a Support Plan to help you focus on the things you need to do to help you move into and keep more permanent housing.

Could I have a pet?

Unfortunately the scheme does not allow any pets.

Help us tackle homelessness in Merseyside