Plus Dane – SHAP Halton Floating Support Service

Plus Dane – SHAP Halton Floating Support Service

Housing Support Services in Halton

SHAP joined forces with Plus Dane and Halton Borough Council and in April 2012 they launched a new Floating Support Service to deliver housing support services for vulnerable people across all client groups in the Halton area.

Videos where service users explain the service is their own words can be found on the Plus Dane SHAP youtube channel.

What is floating support?
Floating Support services are vital preventative services, promoting independence, preventing homelessness and empowering vulnerable people.

These services could enable clients to:

  • manage and reduce debts
  • access benefits advice
  • increase income
  • improve life skills
  • set up utility accounts
  • access health services
  • access other specialist services
  • feel less isolated
  • improve their general wellbeing
  • take part in education, training or employment opportunities

Floating support services

We offer 2 floating support services in Halton:

Generic Floating Support
Our Generic service may support clients to maintain or secure a tenancy.  We will provide housing support to enable them to live independently within their community, if they are experiencing issues such as substance misuse or offending behaviour.  We recognise diversity and will attempt to remove any barriers to accessing our support.  This service can support up to 185 clients.

Mental Health Floating Support
Our specialist Mental Health service aims to support clients whose primary support need is Mental Health issues.  We can enable clients to access appropriate Mental Health services and assist them to maintain their home, increase their independence, and improve their health.  This service can support up to 35 clients.

These services can support clients for up to six months.  Once a client accesses one of our Floating Support services they will be allocated a Support Officer. The role of the Support Officer is to work with the client to assess their needs and agree support goals, enabling them to improve their quality of life.

If the client is currently receiving support from another agency or accessing a wider network of support, we will work alongside them to ensure that their needs are being addressed.

Once the support plan is in place, we will review it on a regular basis with the client to check that they are achieving the goals that they have set and that the plan still meets their needs.

Referral Process
The way in which referrals are now handled in Halton has changed. If you wish to make a referral into our service, please complete the attached referral and (where possible) consent form and send this back to:, along with any other documents you feel relevant to the referral.  

If your query is related to any other aspect of agency support, including the allocation of cases to workers, please contact 0300 123 4560 and ask to speak to a member of the Halton Floating Support Team.

PLEASE NOTE: E-mails to this account are not monitored. If you are unsure, please direct any queries through the above contact telephone number.

We will accept self-referrals and referrals from other agencies including statutory, voluntary and private sector.  A desktop assessment to establish whether the referral meets the service eligibility criteria will be carried out.  Once this is completed and the referrer notified of the outcome, an appointment for each accepted referral with be made.

The purpose of the interview is:

  •  to verify the information contained within the referral form
  • to complete a needs assessment
  • to complete a risk assessment
  • to supply the person referred with information about the service

Once the referral has been interviewed the case will be discussed to check that it meets the service eligibility criteria and, if it does, which waiting list and which waiting list category are appropriate.

How to find out more about our support services

  • Call us on (0800 169 2988 (free from most UK landline phones) 0300 123 4560 (local rate from a mobile phone)
  • Email us at
  • Visit our Jackson House office
  • Write to us at Jackson House, Second Avenue, Runcorn WA7 2PD